Tuesday 6 October 2009

Transmission Problem





Up on the lift just recently was a red Evo 1, the transmission had been slipping and another garage had diagnosed a slipping clutch and replaced it, it made no difference....

First off we cleaned down the underside of the car with the power washer as there was oil everywhere, once it was clean and up in the air it was an easy job to nail the fault - the offside output shaft was hanging out!

Working on cars involves a lot of investigation, I gave the whole area a good coat of looking at and it seemed to me that the car had had a slight accident at the front O/S at one time, I got to work with my spanners.
I soon had the thing apart and the problem soon became clear - half the splines were missing on the output shaft and the inside of the housing which contains the viscous coupler was badly mangled, bits of the clip which had once held it together along with a shattered bearing were still there. What had happened in the past was that the accident had pushed the shaft in too far, broken the clip and the whole lot had whirled around in and out slowly destroying itself, the shaft had only been running off part of it's full length of splines so had eventually given up under the strain hence the transmission slip.
A quick call to the customer confirmed the car was needed back ASAP, so I was to repair it with some second hand parts I had. Sometime later after putting it back together, flushing it through and putting in new oil it was back on the road.

You have to ask what kind of garage incorrectly fits a new clutch while there is hardly any oil in the gearbox and most of it is escaping from the other side of the transmission?

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Welcome to the Deltaparts Blog, here you will find, well, anything which is on my mind I guess, but mainly things to do with the Lancia Delta integrale and in particular anything to do with my business, Deltaparts. It will be a bit irregular as it's not every day (or even week) that something worth mentioning happens. I would like to try and make it interesting - at least to some people anyhow, but also hopefully accessible and readable for the average 'man on the street' so I won't bore you with loads of large words, bombastic overblown sentences or technical jargon. I will describe on here how lots of the parts that we sell came about as there isn't room on the website ( www.deltaparts.co.uk ) to explain. I hope you enjoy reading it as I do writing it, when something becomes a chore you know it's time to stop doing it....